The Alleluia School of Spiritual Direction offers a certificate in spiritual direction. The two-year, three-session program is intended to give the candidate the intellectual knowledge, a foundation in contemplative prayer and the practical skills to serve as an effective spiritual director. The program relies on the candidate's active engagement in the lectures, private prayer exercises and group work. The candidates must attend all three sessions within a six-year period in order to receive the certificate. There are no tests to be passed or papers to be submitted.
Completion Requirements for a Certificate in Spiritual Direction
- The Candidate must acquire a personal spiritual director and be receiving regular spiritual direction ( at least six meetings/year)before completion of the third session.
- Full attendance at all three two-week sessions, for a total of six weeks and completion of readings associated with each session.
- The Candidate must complete one of the following two options: a) The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius (either in the 30 day silent retreat format or in what is called the "19th Annotation") format or b) A silent retreat of 5-8 days, either directed or non-directed, with assigned scriptures and acompanying graces for which to pray.
This requirement is normally satisfied between the first and second sessions.
- Complete a supervised Practicum. The candidate will find someone who is already a practicing believing Christian, who desires to deepen their prayer life and their commitment to loving God. The Candidate will meet with the prayer companion once a week over a four month period.The Candidate will be supervised during the Practicum, and evaluated after the Practicum is completed.
This Practicum is normally accomplished between the second and third sessions.
- The candidate must meet all formation expectations, and demonstrate satisfactorily to the Co-Directors their readiness for the role of spiritual direction.